Skip to main content

Welcome to Teachers As Parents

Greetings!
I am a parent and a high school teacher and so I decided to start this blog to start a discussion about what teachers who are parents do on a daily basis to overcome challenges at work and home.  When I started teaching, I was young and single.  I looked up to some of my colleagues who were also parents and was amazed at how they seemed to have everything well balanced; or so it seemed.  When I became a parent I realized how stressful it is to be a teacher and a parent especially for someone like me who, although I need routines in my life, I lack the organizational skills to establish and maintain these routines. I want this to be a forum where teachers can not only share great ideas for the classroom, but also share ideas on how to balance thair professional and personal lives.

I often feel overwhelmed, but I always try to remember that God never puts us in situations that He knows we can't handle.  So, how do you manage being the first one awake of the family to make sure you and your family are prepared for school and work and being the last one to go to sleep because of lesson planning and having to correct papers to give your students quick feedback on assessments? How do you handle those unpredictable moments when you have a full load of teaching the next day and your child kept you up all night because of an illness?

How do you parent 30-150 or more students all day on a daily basis and then come home and parent your children with the same if not more love and patience that they require from you?

I look back at the past 10 years and can't believe that I've managed to survive being a parent to 2 beautiful children and still feel excited about going to work everyday.

I give props to elementary school teachers because it takes a lot of dedication to be with students who have ten times the energy the teacher has.  I remember chaperoning one of my daughter's field trips and coming home more exhausted that day than any other day at work with my high school students.

These topics are the tip of the iceberg.  I'm hoping to get feedback not just from teachers, but also from parents who are not in education on some of these topics.  Here are some other topics I'd like to talk about/discuss through this blog:

  1. Fitting in healthy eating and exercise in our busy schedules
  2. Sharing parenting tips in general and in particular circumstances
  3. How to communicate effectively with our children and stay engaged in their lives in lieu of exhaustion from work
Parents as Teachers is a website tht has great information on engaging parents and caregivers in raising healthy children.  Positive parent involvement is crucial to a child's development.  We can't say there are no books to teach us how to raise our children any more.

Hope to get your feedback soon!

Elizabeth Hunt

Comments